|Thakns to Roberto from Vin Scully is My Homeboy for correcting me that Chin Lung-Hu was from Taiwan not Korea. Roberto sent me a list of players from Korea and they include Chan Ho Park who is in the picutre I took above, Jae Weong Seo, and Hee Seop Choi. Note the pitcher had the better career|
How does the process works.
Major League baseball teams have to place a bid if they are interested in a player. In this case the Dodgers have placed a bid of $25.7 million. That money goes to Ryu Hyun-jin's Korean team the Hanwha Eagles. Now that gives the Dodgers a 30 day window to negotiate a contract with Ryu and his agent who is none other than Scott Boras. If the Dodgers and Ryu don't reach an agreement the Dodgers will be refunded the $25.7 million.
The $25.7 million is only to get the exclusive negotiating rights, none of that money will go to Ryu. So you can add that to the amount that is negotiated between Ryu (Scott Boras) and the Dodgers.
Who is Ryu Hyun-jin?
- Ryu is a 25 year old left handed pitcher who has pitched for the Hanwha Eagles for seven years.
- He has been an All-Star each of his seven years while in the Korean League
- Ryu won the Triple Crown of pitching in the Korean League
- Ryu won MVP
- Ryu was Rookie of the year
- Ryu is five-time Korean League strikout champion
- Ryu's liftime numbers 98-52 with a 2.80 ERA in the Korean League
- Ryu won a Gold medal in 2008 at the Beijing Olympics where he went 2-0 with a 1.04 ERA
How will all of the above translate into him pitching to the best hitters in the world? That's where the Dodgers are going to have to hope their scouts have evaluated him correctly.
I heard a baseball executive on an interview talk about evaluating foreign players. He said yiou could evaluate a pitcher more accurate than a hitter, because you can see velocity, you can see movment.
Only time will tell. What do you think? What do you think is his value? How will what he has done in the Korean League translate her in Major League Baseball? Let me know what you think Dodger fans, because I Bleed Dodger Blue 2, just like you.
email me with your commments questions or advice at firstname.lastname@example.org